Thursday, November 11, 2010

Who am I???

I've had a week of realization. Realization that the little stupid things I tend to worry about every day DON'T really matter. Realization that those stupid grudges I'm STILL holding from high school are so ridiculous that I'm completely embarrassed. Realization that I can be friends with anyone if I get over the stupid judgments that constantly hold me back. And a renewed realization that I am not perfect and can always do better. And finally a realization that when I start to care more about the people around me instead of myself, it in return will lift me up as well. And to think it was a hymn in Sacrament that sparked all of this.

"Savior, may I learn to love thee,
Walk the path that thou hast shown,

Pause to help and lift another,
Finding strength beyond my own.
Savior, may I learn to love thee
Lord, I would follow thee.

Who am I to judge another When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden
Sorrow that the eye can’t see.

Who am I to judge another?

I would be my brother’s keeper;
I would learn the healer’s art.
To the wounded and the weary
I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother’s keeper

Savior, may I love my brother As I know thou lovest me,
Find in thee my strength, my beacon,
For thy servant I would be.
Savior, may I love my brother

Lord- I would follow thee"

So imagine, I'm sitting there in Sacrament meeting and this hits me like a ton of bricks. And of course, I immediately feel guilty. Because day after day I make stupid, frivolous judgments of people because of what they wear or how they do their hair or who they hang out with it. And when it all boils down to it who am i to judge another??? And the answer hit me like another ton of bricks. (let me tell you now- 2 tons of bricks is a pretty heavy load!!) How can I judge someone when I have absolutely no idea what they are going through? How can I judge them when I myself have so many flaws and imperfections? Now, realistically, I can't say I will never judge anyone again. I know it'll happen. But I AM going to try. Because we're all doing the best we can with what we have.. And there's always more to a person than meets the eye. So for anyone who might actually read this, please take the challenge with me... This week- talk to someone you normally wouldn't. Take a moment to learn something about someone that you didn't know before. You'll feel better. I promise you.



1 comment: